How to Make a Referral to Child Protective Services

A referral of child abuse and or neglect can be made by any person including a child, who has reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or neglect may report the matter to the department or a law enforcement agency. The information in a CPS complaint needs to be provided by the individual who actually has observed the alleged victim or had contact with the child regarding the complaint.


Some persons are mandated reporters. This means that, under Michigan law, they are required to report suspected or actual child neglect or abuse. Mandated reporters include the following persons:


Contact the CPS Emergency Contact Numbers in your county to make a report of suspected child abuse and or neglect. [See links below]